update March 28th, 2020 – 6:45am
Thus far I have had Holy Communion “drive through style” following private Mass during the pandemic. If you can go to a drive through or get carry out for regular food why not for the Holy Eucharist which is also food – literally and spiritually?
But I have come down with a cold, which for me has manifested itself primarily as nasal congestion. I also have a minor sore throat, but have no trouble swallowing, I have coughed only mildly and very occasionally. I have not had any fever, or shortness of breath, or chest pains.
For this reason, and because of the “Stay at Home” order I will refrain from giving Holy Communion at this time nor confessions. The times I had announced for “Drive Through Style Holy Communion” and the Confession times this weekend on Facebook and our website are no longer valid.
We should not self-diagnose. I may just have a garden variety cold. Yet, the whole reason for the “Stay at Home” order is to give our Health Care Workers the means to treat those with serious illness due to CoviD-19 without being overwhelmed.
If there was no Covid-19 virus causing potentially fatal results, these symptoms I am manifesting would not typically result in me refraining from saying public Mass or distributing communion after washing my hands and sanitizing them with Purell or Thieves sanitizer.
But there is this virus. Given what I am experiencing were I to call my doctor I doubt they would recommend a test for Covid-19, as they are reserving tests for those with serious symptoms. Yet, I can not in good conscience put anyone at risk due to a lack of knowledge or presumption on my part that I only have a regular cold.
I apologize for any confusion do to the constantly changing circumstances. I do this reluctantly since a pastor of souls is meant to feed the flock, but I can not in good conscience put anyone at risk during this time, even if I only have a garden variety cold.
Be assured of my prayers and affection for all of you. Do check out the Mass Live-streams. These I can do by myself without putting any one at risk. The Saturday morning live stream for March 28th, however, will be delayed however until mid-day.
Yours in the Heart of Christ,
Fr. Bryan J.B. Pedersen
Times no longer valid. See above message:
All Confessions will be heard at the station set up in the Vestibule at Door #8
Schedule during COVID-19 Pandemic:
- Daily: Tuesday – Saturday 7:15 – 7:45 AM
- Saturday Morning: 9:00 – 10:00 AM
- Saturday Afternoon: 2:30 – 3:30 PM
Instructions during COVID-19 Pandemic:
- Drive to the West Broadway Lot.
- Form cars in a line at the orange cone.
- If there are more than three cars in the line, then park in the lined parking spots in the middle of the lot. Please respect each other, and practice social distancing.
- Depart your car & enter at door # 8. If the priest is present a door will be propped open and a candle will be lit by the Violet Curtains.
- Only one person should enter at a time, while others wait in their car examining their conscience in prayer. Be mindful of the seal of confession.
- Go to the Confession Station with Violet Curtains in the Vestibule.
- Remain standing as you confess. This will prevent touching of surfaces. No face to face Confessions will be offered during this time.
- Exit the building when you receive absolution, return to car, and offer your assigned penance in your car or at home.
- If more people are in your car, then the next person follows when you return to your car.
- When finished leave the parking lot to allow the next car to move to the front of the line by the orange cone.